[CentOS] USB install annoyances (not OT)[SOLVED] (mostly)

m.roth at 5-cent.us

Tue Jan 10 22:16:26 UTC 2012

Denniston, Todd A CIV NAVSURFWARCENDIV Crane wrote:
>> Behalf Of m.roth at 5-cent.us
<snip>
/dev/sda2, which is where I've got the contents of a DVD, as
>> /mnt/isolinux.
>> >
>> > Unless you specifically need the DVD contents, maybe try with the
ISOs instead...
<snip>
>   And when you  get towards package selection, anaconda fails indicating
> ' that it can't find "image# 1".'
>
> The "image# 1" it is looking for is the .iso which could have been burnt
to a DVD for doing the install, i.e., not something from the images
directory from THAT iso.
<snip>
Thank you, Todd, that was the answer. So, in RHEL 6, they're protecting us
against ourselves (we might not have copied everything). So with the FAT32
partition as it was, I then deleted everything on the second partition,
and copied both DVDs onto it... and it's installing even as we speak.

I suppose I need to submit a revised "how to build a USB key" for CentOS 6.

And then there's the bug report I need to file: my only question being
whether it's with CentOS, or upstream.

Given this stupid bios, I had to make the USB key /dev/sda, so I told it
not to install the bootloader. Went to reboot with linux rescue to install
grub... and the same program that mounts the iso for the install, will
*not* do that for linux rescue, and it wants images/install.img in the
directory....

       mark "ah, consistancy"