[CentOS] gabber/jabber for centos 5.7?

ken gebser at mousecar.com
Wed Jan 11 18:46:56 UTC 2012

On 01/11/2012 08:35 AM Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> On 01/11/2012 01:52 PM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>> On 01/11/2012 06:45 AM, ken wrote:
>>> I used to use jabber for chats.  But I don't find it in centos 5.7
>>> anymore.  Is it still around?  Or has something else taken its place?
>>>
>>> What do people using 5.7 use these days?
>>> Is there anything which handles MSN?
>>>
>>> tia.
>> Pidgin is the IM client included in CentOS ... I think it supports MSN
>> and Yahoo chats.
>
> It supports 18 protocols, even facebook chat (plugin maybe)
>
> Jabber is actually Google Talk/Jabber/XMPP protocol, just with different
> servers.

Thanks, guys.  Pidgin works pretty good.  It didn't list any jabber
servers that I could see, at least not the one I used to use.  I wanted
to encrypt the connection both ways, which jabber did.  And you have to
create an account-- e.g., on ICQ or AOL-- separately.  But that's okay.
  Got it going.  It works fast, much faster and much less of a cpu load
than chatting on facebook.

Thanks again.