[CentOS] bug submission justified for distribution of obsolete java software?

Ross Walker rswwalker at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 05:32:57 UTC 2012

On Jan 12, 2012, at 12:25 AM, Ross Walker <rswwalker at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> You mean like Oracle?
>>
>> No, I meant like Intel or an OS that only runs on one or a few CPU
>> types, or a language that only runs on one OS.  Aside from the
>> constraints/control the associated vendor might impose you lock
>> yourself out of an easy move to any new alternatives that might come
>> along or consolidation of apps on the platform of your choice.
>
> I hear what your saying but corporate greed will always trump r

Oops, dropped phone...

Corporate greed will always trump idealistic pursuits. As soon as a product has enough momentum there will be patent fights, copyright fights, licensing and revocation of openness. Soon platforms that contribute the most $$ will get preference and features over others and there goes the cross-platform dream.

Throw your weight behind nothing, use the best technology at the time for the solution. The only true cross-platform language is C.

-Ross