[CentOS] anyone doing automatic yum updates via yum-updatesd on production servers?

Giles Coochey giles at coochey.net
Tue Jan 17 16:50:10 UTC 2012

Best reason I can think of is application feature deprecation.

If an update contains changes to the default configuration file then the
file will normally be installed with the '.rpmnew' extension.

If an application decides to deprecate and phase out options which you
actually use in the current configuration then the automatic update will
invalidate your configuration and the service will not start.

This would cause downtime for your servers. In the case of some services
e.g. ssh, it could be catastrophic, requiring you to physically visit the
servers, would could incur a cost to you.

If you're OK with that, then you're not really in a high-availability
production environment and you can use the automatic update daemon if you
wish.