[CentOS] doing a new install on top of existing software raid-1

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Sat Jan 21 23:29:07 UTC 2012

On 01/19/2012 01:53 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> I tried to boot a 5.x system with several raid1 sets with a 6.0 live
> dvd and not only did it not detect/match up the mirrors, it renamed
> and broke them so they no longer worked on 5.x.  I think there are
> major differences in the way the kernel handles things.   I probably
> won't try to access existing arrays again unless someone else reports
> success, and even then I'll probably pull one of the drives of each
> set until I'm convinced it is safe to sync them back.

As far as I know, it's not a kernel version thing...  If you attach
disks with partitions using MD 0.95 metadata (which Anaconda will
create) to another system, or boot live media in a system with such
disks, the kernel may modify the minor number in the MD metadata.  In
order to fix that, you'll need to stop the volumes, then construct them
manually using the device name that you want and the
--update=super-minor argument.