[CentOS] CentOS and LessFS

Lists lists at benjamindsmith.com
Tue Jan 24 06:56:00 UTC 2012

This thread has been beat to death, so perhaps my $0.02 isn't so
meaningful, but I wrote a set of rsync scripts in php
that I've used for years to manage terabytes of backups going back years
of time. It's called TINBackupBuddy and you can get it at
http://www.effortlessis.com/thisisnotbackupbuddy/ - it is a set of
scripts that allow you to manage and back up numerous hosts, called via
cron on a regular, graceful failure basis, via rsync. It de-duplicates
files that have not changed between backup sets, so depending on the
churn on your servers, you can get an astonishing number of backups onto
a single drive...

I've managed backups for a rather large cluster (now over 200 schools
and school districts) of data automatically, on a 24 hour basis using
these scripts, for years, so they really do work. And for our
development team, we recover from these backups in order to replicate
reported issues, so these backups are verified numerous times per day.

Get a computer with some big disks in it. (We have about 20 TB of disk
space on our backups server right now) Set up TinBackupBuddy and point
to the big disks, use symlinks where it makes sense. Set a few options,
call bbbackup.php via cron, and you're golden. Been doing it for close
to 10 years now....

Good luck!

On 01/16/2012 03:50 PM, Hugh E Cruickshank wrote:
> Hi All:
>
> We have been looking at implementing deduplication on a backup server.
> > From what I have been able to find the available documentation is
> pretty thin. I ended up trying to install LessFS on this CentOS 5.7
> box but we have now encountered problems with fuse version.
>
> Has anyone out there been able to get LessFS running on CentOS 5.7 and
> can provide some pointers?
>
> If not LessFS can you suggest an alternate deduplication software?
>
> TIA
>
> Regards, Hugh

believed to be clean.