[CentOS] GUI login issues over NFS

Michael Weiner hunter at userfriendly.net
Thu Jan 26 19:46:29 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 2:22 PM, Thomas Burns <tburns at hawaii.edu> wrote:

> Any relevant messages in /var/log/messages of the server? Is automount
> able to mount and it is "just" a permissions problem?
>
> I had a vaguely similar problem recently, trying to get OSX to access
> NIS/NFS, it needs different mount options in the automounter config.
>
> You say you tried with automount turned off, were you able to mount
> manually but not able to access? Same error message?
>
> What does nsswitch.conf look like?
>
> Generally my trouble shooting goes like this:
> 1) get NIS to work ('ypcat mymap' works)
> 2) mount NFS share manually with mount command and access as root
> 3) access NFS share as ordinary user
> 4) get automount to mount the share

Thanks for your response Dave! I have been unable to find anything
relevant in the server syslogs. But here is what i have tried:

1) ypcat mymap gives me back what i would expect, as does a ypcat -k
passwd | grep myusername
2) I can mount the share manually on the workstation (using -o
nfsvers=3,rw,hard,intr options) and it mounts and i can traverse it as
a root user
3) I can mount the share manually on the workstation and i can
traverse it as root and as a local user
4) i can then put the map in place, restart autofs, log in via a NIS
account and it maps correctly and i can traverse it properly in a
shell (i.e. ssh, etc)
5) i tried mounting manually, creating a $home directory for a new
user, giving that user a password and i can ssh in but not Gnome or
KDE
6) variations of the above.

And this *IS* working currently on a Sun X4540 system, and the
NON-HOME directories that get mapped upon login correctly map on the
HP X9320 via NIS authentication just not X.

Thanks for the help and logical thinking.
Michael