[CentOS] Can anyone talk infrastructure with me?

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Thu Jan 26 23:59:41 UTC 2012

On 01/26/12 3:43 PM, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> Yes, the cost for a T1 will seem very high.  It is antiquated telco
> tech.  T1s are generally very reliable, but very very slow.
>
> 1.5Mbps is not faster than 40Mbps.  There's nothing hidden in the way
> they advertise speeds.
>
> DSL and DOCSIS technologies have advanced and matured over the last
> couple of decades.  T1 has not.  A T1 connection is the same now as it
> has always been.

a modern T1 (aka DS0) is likely delivered to the end premises over HDSL
using 2 pairs.   while its slower than those consumer oriented
technologies you mention, its far more reliable and has a guaranteed SLA
(service level agreement) you won't get from DOCsis (cable) or end user
ADSL, and tends to have very deterministic latencies...