[CentOS] After a long break, one more try at bond/bridge nics

Bob Hoffman bob at bobhoffman.com
Sat Jan 28 00:32:37 UTC 2012

well, I get no errors on network restart, but all that shows starting up
is the loopback.
ifconfig shows br0 with all settings right.

here is what I have changed, still cannot access outside world with the
virtual host machine. I am sure it is a resolution thing, but the
network restart does not mention the bridge.
No copy paste as using an ipmi card, so all hand typed here, so the
capitalization is not correct in this post.

Since this is a virtual host only, I did not do 'bind' and am just using
google dns servers until I set up my own for resolution.

netstat -rn shows two Br0
1 has the destination ip and genamsk, the other has the gateway

/etc/hosts

xx.xx.xx.xx main.xxx.com main
127.0.0.1 localhost.locadomain localhost
::1 main.xxx.com main localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6

/etc/host.conf
order hosts,bind

/etc/resolv.conf
search main.xxx.com
nameserver=8.8.8.8
nameserver=8.8.4.4

/etc/sysconfig/iptables
(this is the basic install, nothing was changed by me)
(copied by hand, did not type capital letters)

:input accept [0:0]
:forward accept [0:0]
:output accept [0:0]
-A input -m --state established,related -j accept
-a input -p icmp -j accept
-a input -i lo -j accept
-a input -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 22 -j accept
-i forward -m physdev --physdev-is-bridged -j accept
-a imput -j reject --reject-with icmp-host-prohibited
commit

/etc/sysconfig/network
NETOWRKING=yes
HOSTNAME=main.xxx.com

/etc//modprobe.d/bonding.conf
alias bond0 bonding

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/br0
(this file is where I typed in the ip of my machine.)

(normal stuff)
Device=br0
type=BRIDGE
nootproto=static
ipaddr, net, broadcast, netmask, etc.. as should be
nozeroconf=yes
onboot yes
defroute yes

bond0

device bond0
nm controlled no
bootproto no
beridge br0
bonding opts, etc..

eths are all master bond0 slave yes, nm controlled no.