[CentOS] confidence in partitioning tool (6.2)

Ljubomir Ljubojevic office at plnet.rs
Mon Jan 30 15:07:17 UTC 2012

On 01/30/2012 03:14 PM, Larry Martell wrote:
> I have a Windows 7 laptop that I want to make dual boot with CentOS
> 6.2. My plan was to use the Windows Disk Management tool to partition
> the disk, but I do not have the needed admin rights on the box to use
> that. Has anyone used the partitioning tool that comes with 6.2 to do
> this? Can I have some level of confidence that it will not mess things
> up so that I cannot boot into Windows? if it screws up and makes
> Windows unbootable that would be a Very Bad Thing.
>
> Thanks!
> -larry

First make backup of the MBR (some Linux software save them elsewhere on
the disk.)

I used CentOS 6.2 DVD to partition Windows 7 partitons, amongst all
others. But take notice that regular CentOS DVD/LiveDVD has no ntfs
support so you will not be able to format them with NTFS. You can
however create them as FAT32 and re-format them from windows.

CentOS 6.2 DVD can also align partitions for new 4k sector HDD's

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...