[CentOS] confidence in partitioning tool (6.2)

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 15:37:48 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 8:14 AM, Larry Martell <larry.martell at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a Windows 7 laptop that I want to make dual boot with CentOS
> 6.2. My plan was to use the Windows Disk Management tool to partition
> the disk, but I do not have the needed admin rights on the box to use
> that. Has anyone used the partitioning tool that comes with 6.2 to do
> this? Can I have some level of confidence that it will not mess things
> up so that I cannot boot into Windows? if it screws up and makes
> Windows unbootable that would be a Very Bad Thing.

If you have space somewhere to save a backup, you can boot a
clonezilla-live CD and do a disk->image copy that will save your
current partitioning and content.  It can connect to the image storage
via nfs, windows file sharing, or ssh, and it knows enough about most
filesystems including ntfs to only save the used portions of the
partitions.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com