[CentOS] confidence in partitioning tool (6.2)

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Mon Jan 30 19:55:48 UTC 2012

Jonathan Nilsson wrote:
> Larry wrote:
<snip>
> I didn't come here to debate VM's. I was just looking for someone to
>> say "Yeah, I used the CentOS partitioning it and it worked like a
>> charm" or "I used it and it was a disaster."
>
> sorry if i sounded cross; i am not trying to be argumentative. it's just
> that from my experience dual-booting has not been worth the effort unless
> it is truly needed for the hardware performance, and running CentOS on a
> laptop (depending on the model) may prove challenging to get all the
> hardware to work.
>
> as for partitioning, i have not had success using any linux installer to
> resize an existing Windows partition. supposedly gparted on a livecd can
<snip>
I've done it a few times; most recently, with my netbook (ok, it's got the
Ubuntu netbook remix on it, but I'm getting annoyed enough to maybe put
CentOS on - I like stability), and have never had a problem.

As I said, do the defrag, then yes, you *can* use Linux's fdisk, it's
perfectly fine with a DOS MBR, and won't break anything.

         mark