[CentOS] confidence in partitioning tool (6.2)

Philippe Naudin philippe.naudin at supagro.inra.fr
Tue Jan 31 13:24:02 UTC 2012

Le mar 31 jan 2012 05:34:21 CET, Larry Martell a écrit:

> I can't even defrag the disk without admin rights :-(
>
> I'm going to make one more push to get admin, and if not, just go
> ahead and install CentOS and see what happens.

You can check if there is enough available disk space without
defragmenting, with ntfsresize :
ntfsresize -i /dev/sda1 # or whatever is your ntfs partition
ntfsresize -n --size <new size> /dev/sda1
  These two commands only show/test what can be done, without changing
  anything on the disk.

If you feel ready for the change :
fdisk -l /dev/sda # and keep a copy of the output
ntfsresize --size <new size> /dev/sda1 # this time without -n
fdisk /dev/sda
  Delete the old sda1 and recreate it with the same start and a size at
  least sufficient to hold the resized ntfs. Don't forget to change the
  type of the partition, and activate it.
ntfsresize -fi /dev/sda1
  If it reports any problem, undo what has been done with fdisk.
  Restart Windows and let it do its FS check.

This has worked for me, but as always : ymmv, be careful.

--
Philippe Naudin