[CentOS] confidence in partitioning tool (6.2)

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 14:11:36 UTC 2012

On Tuesday 31 January 2012 05:34:21 Larry Martell wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 10:15 PM, Arun Khan <knura9 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 9:57 PM, Ken godee <ken at perfect-image.com> wrote:
> >> Maybe a little different answer than you're looking for....
> >>
> >> But why not install VMware Workstation (free)?
> >
> > The OP does not have admin rights to the Windows OS.  I presume he
> > would need it to install any piece of software (I use Virtual Box).
>
> I can't even defrag the disk without admin rights :-(
>
> I'm going to make one more push to get admin, and if not, just go
> ahead and install CentOS and see what happens.

Beware that resizing a Windows partition which has not been defrag'ed is a Bad
Idea, and works only if you are lucky enough that Windows didn't use the end-
portion of the partition. Maybe it will work on a freshly installed and not-
ever-seriously-used Windows, but it's a gamble.

If it doesn't work, you're looking at data loss and corruption of the ntfs
partition (fixing of the latter may require you to have admin privileges...).

If your Windows admin doesn't want to provide you with the privileges, why
don't you ask him to resize the partition for you?

HTH, :-)
Marko