[CentOS] confidence in partitioning tool (6.2)

Larry Martell larry.martell at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 14:21:55 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 7:11 AM, Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 31 January 2012 05:34:21 Larry Martell wrote:

>> > The OP does not have admin rights to the Windows OS.  I presume he
>> > would need it to install any piece of software (I use Virtual Box).
>>
>> I can't even defrag the disk without admin rights :-(
>>
>> I'm going to make one more push to get admin, and if not, just go
>> ahead and install CentOS and see what happens.
>
> Beware that resizing a Windows partition which has not been defrag'ed is a Bad
> Idea, and works only if you are lucky enough that Windows didn't use the end-
> portion of the partition. Maybe it will work on a freshly installed and not-
> ever-seriously-used Windows, but it's a gamble.

I've found that there is an automated defrag scheduled for 1:45am on
Wednesdays. I probably won't be up then, but perhaps nothing will move
around between then and the morning.

> If it doesn't work, you're looking at data loss and corruption of the ntfs
> partition (fixing of the latter may require you to have admin privileges...).
>
> If your Windows admin doesn't want to provide you with the privileges, why
> don't you ask him to resize the partition for you?

Yeah, I'm in a remote location (at home) and it's a huge company with
centralized admin services and I'm working for a small division, but
perhaps I can get them to remote in and do it. They're just not very
responsive, so it's a slow process.