[CentOS] libre office

Wed Jul 11 10:36:58 UTC 2012
Natxo Asenjo <natxo.asenjo at gmail.com>

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 11:50 AM, Fernando Cassia <fcassia at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 1:25 AM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>
> wrote:
> > LibreOffice was created when Oracle bought Sun, a bunch of the core
> > developers quit and started their own project,
>
> BS if you ask me...
> Oracle bought Sun in APRIL 2009.

[knip oracle/sun contributions to OSS projects]

As far as I am concerned, any OSS project can be forked. This has happened
here and TUV is just eating its own dogfood using LO instead of OO.org.

Nothing shocking, really. Most informed people know how much Oracle has
contributed to OSS, but also how it has tried 'monetize' other stuff
(thinking java here, with the recent android controversy). They routinely
profit from other people's work (their unbreakeble linux distribution is
not truly theirs, is it?).

Sometimes it makes more sense to open source stuff, sometimes it doesn't.
You win some, you lose some. Business as usual.

Mr Shuttleworth has obviously his own agenda on the discussion. He is the
first one to have stuff forked for no (apparently) good reason (unity)
instead of cooperiting with upstream.

just my 2 cents.

--
groet,