[CentOS] system-config-network-tui not part of base install... wtf

Thu Jul 26 14:58:11 UTC 2012
Giles Coochey <giles at coochey.net>

On 26/07/2012 15:50, Scott Robbins wrote:
> Unfortunately, according to folks who have more knowledge than I do
> about these things, in later versions of Fedora, and therefore,
> probably the next version or so of RH, just manually editing
> sysconfig/network-scripts will overlook some necessary parts.
> system-config-network-tui may wind up becoming necessary. Through RH
> 5.x it was enough to manually edit the necessary files. However, in
> later versions of Fedora, this may cause errors because there will be
> some other scripts or files elsewhere, that system-config-network-tui
> manipulates. Meanwhile, Fedora is trying to make NetworkManager the
> default interface handler, (and there is apparently a command line
> version.) I know I'm old and cranky, but to me, it just seems like
> those meddlesome kids with their newfangled smartphones and touch
> screens are taking over development, and that many of them just don't
> care about the sysadmin portion of use.
Interestingly, even when I use system-config-network-tui (at least on
CentOS 6.2) I still had to manually edit the ONBOOT network parameter in
/etc/sysconfig for my Ethernet to be enabled at startup.

Not sure if there is something in the menu system that would do that for
me...

--
Regards,

Giles Coochey, CCNA, CCNAS