[CentOS] system-config-network-tui not part of base install... wtf

Thu Jul 26 15:14:09 UTC 2012
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On Thursday, July 26, 2012 10:55:07 AM Fernando Cassia wrote:
> My point is simple: I install the base config. I'm in text mode. I
> need networking to work to install extra packages and begin setting up
> my system, users, permissions, packages, etc. I have no problem doing
> that manually AFTER I get the system up and running (and by "running"
> I mean 'having network connectivity'). Having me edit config files
> manually is an *annoyance*.

The way it's supposed to be done is to set up networking during install.  The GUI installer has a button, that is clearly labeled, during install.  You set it up to connect automatically, and be active for all users, and it starts even in text mode during boot up.

The text installer is effectively deprecated; if you want/need to do, say, a serial console install you're supposed to do a VNC install and run the GUI remotely over a VNC session (the serial console/text mode handler will do enough network configuration to get the GUI installer running over VNC).

Barring that, if the 'Desktop' package set is installed (I last did this with 6.1, so it may be different now) with certain server packages also installed (no, I don't have a rigorous package set to quote, that's left as an exercise for the reader as I'm not going to do your homework for you on that one.....) the system will come up in runlevel 3, but will bring up a text mode firstboot that includes a text mode network configurator.  While it would be interesting to see the exact package set that triggers this, I have not had the time nor the motivation to do that myself, just going by what happened when I installed some boxes a while back.