[CentOS] [SOLVED] Re: problem with machine "freezing" for short periods

Fri Jul 27 17:32:11 UTC 2012

Vanhorn, Mike wrote:

> It turned out to be something very simple, but which wasn't obvious to
> check to begin with. There was another computer (a Windows machine) that
> was supposed to have been taken out of service a long time ago, but
> someone has recently put it back on the network. Because it was supposed
> to have been no longer used, it's IP address was re-allocated (a year and
> a half ago!) to the machine that I have been agonizing over all week.
>
> On someone's suggestion, I decided to put the problem PC on a different
> subnet, because we thought it might be something amiss with the new
> networking hardware that was installed a month or so ago, and suddenly the
> problem went away. Some more investigation, and we discovered that the IP
> address was still being used, and, thus, stumbled across the actual
> problem.
>
> Thank you to all who responded!

Glad you got it. I've been *really* busy all morning - shutdown of chilled
water at 0-dark-30 meant shutting all the servers down yesterday, then
bringing them up once the chiller water came on - but when I saw that
you'd found it was a network issue, I was literally about to respond that
it might not be your system's problem, but something on the network, when
I saw your subject of SOLVED.

Congrats.
<snip>
         mark