[CentOS] reinventing the wheel? page checker

Markus Falb

markus.falb at fasel.at
Fri Jun 22 15:43:03 UTC 2012

On 22.6.2012 03:34, Kahlil Hodgson wrote:

> If its a security thing, you probably want an host based IDS.

I know this under the term file based IDS btw., in contrast to some
stuff that scans the network traffic.

> Samhain (http://la-samhna.de/samhain/)

tripwire and aide were two other examples and even with bacula you can
do this stuff.

All these tools scan the filesystem and store things like checksum,
ownership, size etc. in a database. One important feature in my opinion
is that the database is not stored on the client itself. You don't want
an intruder to get on that data, similar to why one wants a central
logserver.

To no avail do reinvent the wheel, there are plenty of tools for that.
--
Kind Regards, Markus Falb