[CentOS] How to upgrade from 5.8 to 6.2

ken

gebser at mousecar.com
Sat Jun 23 15:32:07 UTC 2012

On 06/23/2012 08:45 AM Leonard den Ottolander wrote:
> Hello Eric,
>
> On Sat, 2012-06-23 at 09:52 +0200, Eric Kom wrote:
>> Please am new on CentOS, may you help me with the upgrade from 5.8 to
>> 6.2 using?
>
> http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Installation_Guide/sn-upgrading-system-x86.html
>
> "Red Hat does not support in-place upgrades between any major versions
> of Red Hat Enterprise Linux."
>
> Regards,
> Leonard.

That's redhat's way of saying that an upgrade to a major version is like
a new install, meaning you should back up your data etc. before
installing 6.2.  In short, it takes some planning ahead of time to
upgrade from 5.8 to 6.2, especially if you've never done such an upgrade
before.

 From prior experience I've found major upgrades easier if, in the
current setup, instead of having just one volume/partition and so
everything under root (/), there are separate partitions or volumes for
(at least) /home and /var because redhat (and so too centos) has always
recognized that those partitions contain data and will ask if I want to
leave them as they are or, instead, overwrite them.  If you currently
have just one volume/partition, then you *must* backup any data you want
to save and then re-install it you have 6.2 running.  If you already
have separate volumes/partitions on your 5.8 system, you still will want
to note which are which so that when you install 6.2 you will be able to
make the correct assignments.

There will likely be configuration information you will want to have
during the 6.2 install, e.g. your network configuration.   So look
around under /etc for that and have readable copies of what you will
need during the install.

That's some of what's involved.  It would take more than just a couple
paragraphs to explain everything.  Much will depend upon what you are
currently running and what you plan to run on 6.2.  Hope this helps a bit.