[CentOS] How to upgrade from 5.8 to 6.2

ken

gebser at mousecar.com
Sat Jun 23 20:12:58 UTC 2012

On 06/23/2012 12:42 PM Keith Roberts wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Jun 2012, ken wrote:
> *snip*
>
>>  ... redhat (and so too centos) has always
>> recognized that those partitions contain data and will ask if I want to
>> leave them as they are or, instead, overwrite them.  If you currently
>> have just one volume/partition, then you *must* backup any data you want
>> to save and then re-install it you have 6.2 running.  If you already
>> have separate volumes/partitions on your 5.8 system, you still will want
>> to note which are which so that when you install 6.2 you will be able to
>> make the correct assignments.
>
> I've been caught out before when installing Linux with
> existing data on several partitions, and had my partitions
> and data trashed. My work around is to only let the
> installer use / tmp and swap. That way it cannot touch my
> partitions with data on them.

I've done at least a dozen, maybe three or four dozen installs, with
(actual) redhat, suse, centos, and probably others too, but have never
had that happen to me.  Linux has even recognized every Windows
partition I've had and has left those alone to when I've asked it to.
This might be because I always select "Custom Install" at the very
beginning of the process.  IMS, if you select "New Install" (or words to
that effect), you don't have the option to select partitions you want to
leave untouched during the install.