[CentOS] wins option in nsswitch.conf not working

Sun Jun 3 17:50:48 UTC 2012
Peter Peltonen <peter.peltonen at gmail.com>

I am trying to get BackupPC working with automount as documented in
this CentOS HowTo:
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/BackupPC

I think my CentOS6 box's NetBIOS name resolving is not working
correctly as when I try to access the mount for Win7 machine called
Parallels I get this:
[root at au ~]# ls /windows
ls: cannot access /windows/parallels: No such file or directory
parallels
[root at au ~]# cd /windows/parallels
-bash: cd: /windows/parallels: No such file or directory

and I cannot ping the Win7 machine with its NetBIOS name:

[root at au ~]# ping parallels
ping: unknown host parallels

If I add "wins" at the end of the hosts section in /etc/nsswitch.conf
the resolver seems to get "stuck" as after ping it just hangs (there
is no output, I have to quit it with CTRL+C)

smbclient seems to work though:

[root at au ~]# smbclient -L parallels -U Administrator
Enter Administrator's password:
Domain=[PARALLELS] OS=[Windows 7 Professional 7601 Service Pack 1]
Server=[Windows 7 Professional 6.1]

	Sharename       Type      Comment
	---------       ----      -------
	ADMIN$          Disk      Remote Admin
	C$              Disk      Default share
	IPC$            IPC       Remote IPC
	test            Disk
Domain=[PARALLELS] OS=[Windows 7 Professional 7601 Service Pack 1]
Server=[Windows 7 Professional 6.1]

	Server               Comment

	Workgroup            Master

Why does the "wins" option not work in nsswitch.conf?

What should I do to get automount working with CentOS + Win7 shares?

Regards,
Peter