[CentOS] wins option in nsswitch.conf not working

Sun Jun 3 22:23:41 UTC 2012
Brett Serkez <bserkez at gmail.com>

On Sun, Jun 3, 2012 at 1:50 PM, Peter Peltonen <peter.peltonen at gmail.com>wrote:

> If I add "wins" at the end of the hosts section in /etc/nsswitch.conf
> the resolver seems to get "stuck" as after ping it just hangs (there
> is no output, I have to quit it with CTRL+C)

Works on my network, my nsswitch.conf looks like this:

hosts:      files [!NOTFOUND=return] wins [!NOTFOUND=return] dns

 I seem to recall that the [!NOTFOUND=return], which is confusing as a
double negative, keeps things like ping from hanging by causing an
immediate return once a resolution is found.

Order is important, so the above looks in the local files (/etc/hosts),
then WINS and finally DNS, if you change the order, you may get different
results.

Brett