[CentOS] wins option in nsswitch.conf not working

Sun Jun 3 23:27:21 UTC 2012
Cliff Pratt <enkiduonthenet at gmail.com>

On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 5:50 AM, Peter Peltonen <peter.peltonen at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am trying to get BackupPC working with automount as documented in
> this CentOS HowTo:
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/BackupPC
>
> I think my CentOS6 box's NetBIOS name resolving is not working
> correctly as when I try to access the mount for Win7 machine called
> Parallels I get this:
> [root at au ~]# ls /windows
> ls: cannot access /windows/parallels: No such file or directory
> parallels
> [root at au ~]# cd /windows/parallels
> -bash: cd: /windows/parallels: No such file or directory
>
> and I cannot ping the Win7 machine with its NetBIOS name:
>
> [root at au ~]# ping parallels
> ping: unknown host parallels
>
> If I add "wins" at the end of the hosts section in /etc/nsswitch.conf
> the resolver seems to get "stuck" as after ping it just hangs (there
> is no output, I have to quit it with CTRL+C)
>
> smbclient seems to work though:
>
> [root at au ~]# smbclient -L parallels -U Administrator
> Enter Administrator's password:
> Domain=[PARALLELS] OS=[Windows 7 Professional 7601 Service Pack 1]
> Server=[Windows 7 Professional 6.1]
>
>        Sharename       Type      Comment
>        ---------       ----      -------
>        ADMIN$          Disk      Remote Admin
>        C$              Disk      Default share
>        IPC$            IPC       Remote IPC
>        test            Disk
> Domain=[PARALLELS] OS=[Windows 7 Professional 7601 Service Pack 1]
> Server=[Windows 7 Professional 6.1]
>
>        Server               Comment
>        ---------            -------
>
>        Workgroup            Master
>        ---------            -------
>
> Why does the "wins" option not work in nsswitch.conf?
>
> What should I do to get automount working with CentOS + Win7 shares?

You don't give enough information. For instance, use the the 'mount'
command to show the mount for the share. Secondly the message
indicates that the file or directory cannot be found, not that name
resolution is not happening. Thirdly, ping uses DNS not netbios by
default so it is not able to find a DNS entry for 'parallels'. Please
show the DNS entry for 'parallels' and the resolv.conf contents.
Finally, a 'hang' usually indicates a lookup issue. What are the
details for the wins server?

Cheers,

Cliff