[CentOS] xfs, inode64, and NFS

Wed Mar 7 23:54:22 UTC 2012
Ross Walker <rswwalker at gmail.com>

On Mar 7, 2012, at 1:16 PM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:

> On 03/07/12 6:47 AM, Ross Walker wrote:
>> These days XFS should always be inode64 enabled, given the size of disks, and NFS should have been fixed a long, long time ago.
>
> yes.  problem is, we have clients that are running all sorts of OS's,
> including older versions of Solaris...   this is a manufacturing
> environment, so many of the clients are actually test equipment and
> machine controllers and such, you can't just slap a new OS on those.

I see, then here's hoping there is a server side fix for this somewhere.

Otherwise, I suggest using Solaris/Nexenta and ZFS for this big storage. Not only do you get an almost unbreakable file system, but industry standard NFS server.

That's where I'd go, especially given the heterogenous clients you have to deal with.

-Ross