[CentOS] xfs, inode64, and NFS

Wed Mar 7 21:03:22 UTC 2012
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 1:46 PM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:
> On 03/07/12 11:27 AM, Warren Young wrote:
>> Why do those embedded systems have to see a whole 74 TB storage midden?
>>    Why not slice off a 1 TB or so LVM slice for them?
>
> LVM management blows chunks.  each of these arrays (we have dozens of
> these 74TiB storage servers) will end up nearly filled up.  trying to
> manage 74 separate 1TiB file systems or even 10 separate 7TiB systems,
> and figuring out where there's freespace?  no thanks.    there's 1000s
> of those clients writing files to this archival storage, and the goal is
> to fill up the storage.
>
> the operations folks at these production sites were using Solaris w/ ZFS
> for this in the previous (smaller) incarnation.
>
> one solution proposed by a field site is to use SMB instead of NFS, as
> it doesn't seem to have these issues.   I personally find SMB for
> (l)Unix to (l)Unix distasteful.

I can see where zfs would be good for this...   Does this data have
some sort of life cycle where you could give the devices a small space
to write with the data periodically processed (server-side) into the
large archive?  Or could they use an http post, database write, or
some other application-level protocol instead of seeing the filesystem
directly?

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com