[CentOS] Thunderbird and Firefox 10 font rendering

Mon Mar 12 07:47:28 UTC 2012
Toralf Lund <toralf.lund at pgs.com>

On 08/03/12 17:34, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 03/08/2012 07:49 AM, Toralf Lund wrote:
>> On 08/03/12 14:35, John Doe wrote:
>>> I use both 3.6.26 (from centOS 5) and 10.0.2 (binary from mozilla).
>>> And, after setting the same font settings in both, I cannot see any real differences...
>>> Only tiny difference I could find if I screenshot both and zoom a lot is lighter pixels in the anti-aliasing of 10.x.
>>> But that might just depend on the position in the display maybe...
>> Like I said elsewhere, I looks like the version 10 applications do not
>> pick up the settings from System->Preferences->Fonts->Details... in
>> GNOME. I've just verified that Firefox does on a system with an older
>> CentOS version, although there are no direct updates like for other
>> programs - I have to hit reload to see updates in the contents area, and
>> restart to get updated display in menus etc.
>>
>> If it's not too much too ask, could you check if these settings have and
>> effect for you?
>>
> Firefox 10.0.1, at least the version in CentOS6 that is included, has
> its own unique font settings.
>
> Please open the Edit =>  Preferences ... then click the "Content" tab.
>
> In the Content Area, you will see a "Fonts&  Colors" area, and there is
> where you will pick your Firefox font.  There is also an Advanced section.
I'm not talking about selecting fonts, but rather configuration of how
exactly the letter shapes are drawn for any font.

- Toralf

This e-mail, including any attachments and response string, may contain proprietary information which is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is for the intended recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by return e-mail and delete this message and any attachment immediately. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, forward, copy, print or rely on this e-mail in any way except as permitted by the author.