[CentOS] postfix and spam, I am impressed

Tue Mar 13 12:53:06 UTC 2012
Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam at whitemice.org>

On Mon, 2012-03-12 at 23:39 +0100, Jure Pečar wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 17:12:13 -0400
> Bob Hoffman <bob at bobhoffman.com> wrote:
> > On my centos 5 server I just used sendmail with spamassassin and it
> > killed a lot. Still, 100s, sometimes more made it through. Then
> > thunderbird would weed out more, learned as it went...
> > Still, had an inbox with a lot of junk.
> Maybe you should read some http://www.acme.com/mail_filtering/ ... altough
> from 2005, one of the best sendmail writeups I'm aware of.

+1  I've owned/used awilliam at whitemice.org for decades.  There it is -
I've *never* engaged in stupid address obscurity schemes.  I get at most
four or five SPAM messages in my INBOX each day.   A proper
configuration works very well.

> > Now I have set up a centos 6 box using postfix. Today I decided to try
> > to add smtpd restrictions. After a lot of reading and testing I 'seem'
> > to be doing incredible.
> I've switched to postfix back in 2001 and yes, it is amazing. Now that
> you're free of spam, you can dive into policyd and various content
> filtering schemes available. It's amazing how far email has come, yet it's
> even more amazing that none of the major linux distros have everything in
> one place, well integrated and polished and we poor sysadmins still have to
> stich solutions together ...

+1

Configure Postfix
Configure CLAM [this doesn't even include any usable scripts] (1)
Configure SPAMassassin
Integrate the three
Troubleshoot

You can throw a couple of RBLs or even greylist in there too.

It does seem like this should be out-of-the box on this point.

(1) I've written most of my config up in the Postfix chapter of
<http://bit.ly/exQSCH>

--
System & Network Administrator [ LPI & NCLA ]
<http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com>