[CentOS] CentOS Server Backup Options

Wed Mar 14 04:26:46 UTC 2012
Nataraj <incoming-centos at rjl.com>

On 03/13/2012 09:17 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 03/13/12 7:05 PM, Nataraj wrote:
>> I would have to dig up some references, but I have read some articles
>> that claim that the reliability of a drive that is in full time
>> operation in a server, running 24hrs/day and maybe even seeking under
>> heavy load is way different than a drive that you run for a day or two
>> and then it sits in an environmentally controlled storage, powered down
>> for most of its lifetime.  At least from what I read, the failure rate
>> is much lower for the same drive used under the later conditions.
> on the other hand, the vibration and shock of transport is more likely
> to make a drive fail, so its all a tradeoff.

You could take your chances on the dyes with optical media.  Some say
that in a proper controlled environment, they will last much longer.
The best media I think are the ones from Japan and singapore.  There are
several places in Japan that now ship to the US for reasonable rates.  I
just ordered from 1 on ebay.  I think the reality is that nothing lasts
forever.  Optical media is probably much more likely to survive ICBM's,
but then you may not have a drive to read them...

Nataraj