[CentOS] CentOS Server Backup Options

Wed Mar 14 04:40:57 UTC 2012
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 11:26 PM, Nataraj <incoming-centos at rjl.com> wrote:

> You could take your chances on the dyes with optical media.  Some say
> that in a proper controlled environment, they will last much longer.
> The best media I think are the ones from Japan and singapore.  There are
> several places in Japan that now ship to the US for reasonable rates.  I
> just ordered from 1 on ebay.  I think the reality is that nothing lasts
> forever.  Optical media is probably much more likely to survive ICBM's,
> but then you may not have a drive to read them...

And then there is the problem of indexing and finding old stuff,
assuming you still have the device to read it.  If you keep archiving
at the rate you are now, how much will you accumulate in a lifetime
and how long will it take to find something if you ever care about
retrieving it?   I just keep buying bigger and bigger disks...

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com