[CentOS] LibreOffice rpm's vs Centos testing repo

Mon Mar 19 11:43:03 UTC 2012
Jake Shipton <jakems at fedoraproject.org>

On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 09:50:21 +0000
nux at li.nux.ro wrote:

> Jake,
>
> Sure, 3.5 is on the to do list.
> I see this trend a lot, to make repos out of official rpms (at least
> Ljubomir is also doing it). Maybe it's worth doing this on a bigger
> scale. Care to share what exactly you are doing? Are you using any
> "meta" packages?
Hi,

The setup is pretty basic (imo) because the repo is used only in a LAN
and never used outside of this LAN, I do not worry about generating
delta's or stuff like that. I don't even GPG sign them.

The local repo is also used for other self compiled RPM's. These would
usually be tagged with a ".hr" tag (ie,
<packagename>-<version>.el6.hr.x86_64) for easy removal.

But as far as I am aware to do that, with official RPM's it would
require a rebuild.

So what I tend to do is just open up filezilla, ftp to a libreoffice
mirror, browse my way to libreoffice stable RPM's, and download them to
"/var/www/html/repository/<arch>" (Which is actually just a link
to /home/<username>/rpmbuild/RPMS)

Obviously the repository it's self is pre-setup because of the other
packages, so as my normal user next up I would just run:

createrepo --update ~/rpmbuild/RPMS/<arch>
createrepo --update ~/rpmbuild/RPMS/SRPMS

A quick check for SELinux permission's and it's good to go :-). Now
from local machines on the LAN I would just use "yum install libobasis*
libreoffice*" etc, then pick and remove the unnecessary extra packages.
and "yum update" takes care of updates :-) (after I have redone the
above..)

This is something most user could easily do them selves, and it could
also be done publicly, however it is still a "messy" method even if
somebody else does it for you (and you just enable/add the repo).

I would still prefer to be able to have RPM's built specifically for
EL6.

I guess that raises the question of "You have the repo, rpmbuild
etc setup, why don't you build them your self?", and to answer it:

Because I do not have the CPU Power :-) (Still got a Single core
here....)

But yeah.. that's basically all I do :-).

PS: Sorry for any typo's etc I was tired when I wrote this email, had
been awake only a few minutes.

--
Jake Shipton (JakeMS)
GPG Key: 0xE3C31D8F