[CentOS] LibreOffice rpm's vs Centos testing repo

Mon Mar 19 15:04:30 UTC 2012
nux at li.nux.ro <nux at li.nux.ro>

Jake Shipton writes:

> On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 09:50:21 +0000
> nux at li.nux.ro wrote:
>
>> Jake,
>>
>> Sure, 3.5 is on the to do list.
>> I see this trend a lot, to make repos out of official rpms (at least
>> Ljubomir is also doing it). Maybe it's worth doing this on a bigger
>> scale. Care to share what exactly you are doing? Are you using any
>> "meta" packages?
> Hi,
>
> The setup is pretty basic (imo) because the repo is used only in a LAN
> and never used outside of this LAN, I do not worry about generating
> delta's or stuff like that. I don't even GPG sign them.
>
> The local repo is also used for other self compiled RPM's. These would
> usually be tagged with a ".hr" tag (ie,
> <packagename>-<version>.el6.hr.x86_64) for easy removal.
>
> But as far as I am aware to do that, with official RPM's it would
> require a rebuild.
>
> So what I tend to do is just open up filezilla, ftp to a libreoffice
> mirror, browse my way to libreoffice stable RPM's, and download them to
> "/var/www/html/repository/<arch>" (Which is actually just a link
> to /home/<username>/rpmbuild/RPMS)
>
> Obviously the repository it's self is pre-setup because of the other
> packages, so as my normal user next up I would just run:
>
> createrepo --update ~/rpmbuild/RPMS/<arch>
> createrepo --update ~/rpmbuild/RPMS/SRPMS
>
> A quick check for SELinux permission's and it's good to go :-). Now
> from local machines on the LAN I would just use "yum install libobasis*
> libreoffice*" etc, then pick and remove the unnecessary extra packages.
> and "yum update" takes care of updates :-) (after I have redone the
> above..)
>
> This is something most user could easily do them selves, and it could
> also be done publicly, however it is still a "messy" method even if
> somebody else does it for you (and you just enable/add the repo).
>
> I would still prefer to be able to have RPM's built specifically for
> EL6.
>
> I guess that raises the question of "You have the repo, rpmbuild
> etc setup, why don't you build them your self?", and to answer it:
>
> Because I do not have the CPU Power :-) (Still got a Single core
> here....)
>
> But yeah.. that's basically all I do :-).
>
> PS: Sorry for any typo's etc I was tired when I wrote this email, had
> been awake only a few minutes.

Thanks Jake for the details.
Well, what you say about building it yourself is what I'm actually trying to
do now, but it is not a piece of cake:
http://li.nux.ro/download/nux/libreoffice-testing/el6/i386/
http://li.nux.ro/download/nux/libreoffice-testing/el6/x86_64/
But at least it's done Fedora/Redhat way :-)

I will seriously look into making a proper repo out of the Libreoffice.org
rpms.. I'll let you know how it goes.

Nux!
www.nux.ro