[CentOS] when is the o.s. considered to be at a certain minor version? Or, is it safe to apply only certain package updates from the next release version?

Fri May 11 00:01:54 UTC 2012
Phil Schaffner <Philip.R.Schaffner at NASA.gov>

Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote on 05/10/2012 05:56 PM:
> I do not agree with "minor versions are only snapshots in time when
> install media is re-generated". I should have left only part of the
> sentence I disagree with.

What's not to agree with in that? It may be incomplete, but not incorrect.

Would you agree with "Minor versions are snapshots in time when all of
the latest updates, and a batch of new ones, are merged into a new base
repo, the updates repo is emptied, and new installation media are
generated"?

Phil