[CentOS] when is the o.s. considered to be at a certain minor version? Or, is it safe to apply only certain package updates from the next release version?

Fri May 11 21:55:45 UTC 2012
Jim Wildman <jim at rossberry.com>

If you dig through the Red Hat site enough, you will find
that there is no Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.2.  There is only
RHEL6.  5.x,6.x are NOT defined outside of what is on the
isos.  So far as I know, it applies to CentOS.

This is not Solaris/AIX/HPUX/Windows.  There are no defined releases
or 'service packs' which guarantee a particular _set_ of minor
versions to be present.
.