[CentOS] Upgrading FC2 to CentOS 5.* - anyone second this?

Wed May 30 17:59:10 UTC 2012

Max Pyziur wrote:
>> <snip>
>>> To clarify, the machine is a test/development box that also acts as a
>>> router to a DSL connection that (for the most part) replicates a
>>> co-located production machine that is currently running CentOS 5.8.
>>>
>>> Until recently, energies have been dedicated to other endeavors.
>>> Currently, efforts are being made to upgrade all relevant components to
>>> appropriate recent stable releases of OS's. In no way was an FC2
>>> machine used in a production environment, and no effort was made to
create that
>>> impression.
>>
>> Ok. That *was* the impression you gave.
>
> No it wasn't. That was your mistaken interpretation.

I accept that wasn't what you *intended*. However, what you *wrote* left
that as a reasonable interpretation.

<http://24.5-cent.us/egoless_documentation.doc>

<snip>

>>> Possibly. Unless someone else can attest to their own experience and
>>> knowledge that it's generally ok to move from FC2 to CentOS 5.*. That
>>> was my point in starting this thread.
>>
>> *sigh* I was being sarcastic. Doing all that work would be silly, esp.
>
> You should do a better job of signalling your sarcasm.

I did not expect you to actually consider that as within reason.

>> with what would be needed to do so. Again, it would be *much* less work
>> to build a good box of 5.8, or maybe 6.2, and load and configure that.
>
> I'm not interested in acquiring more hardware but rather hope to use what
> I have. It works satisfactorily in its current configuration; my interest
> is in aligning the OS of the test/backup unit with that of the production
> machine.

<snip>

Fine. Another answer would be to add more disk, if necessary, and build
5.8 on the machine, in such a manner as to allow you to reboot into either
the current or the new version. For further clarification as to what I'm
suggesting, try reading my other published article:
<http://24.5-cent.us/upgrading_linux.doc>

        mark