[CentOS] Upgrading FC2 to CentOS 5.* - anyone second this?

Wed May 30 18:21:54 UTC 2012
Max Pyziur <pyz at brama.com>

> Max Pyziur wrote:
>>> <snip>

> create that
>>>
>>> Ok. That *was* the impression you gave.
>>
>> No it wasn't. That was your mistaken interpretation.
>
> I accept that wasn't what you *intended*. However, what you *wrote* left
> that as a reasonable interpretation.

Here is what I wrote:
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2012-May/126307.html

"... It's a test machine that replicates a production server. ..."

How would you improve it in order to remedy the apparent confusion?

> <http://24.5-cent.us/egoless_documentation.doc>
>>
> <snip>

>>> *sigh* I was being sarcastic. Doing all that work would be silly, esp.
>>
>> You should do a better job of signalling your sarcasm.
>
> I did not expect you to actually consider that as within reason.
>>
>>> with what would be needed to do so. Again, it would be *much* less work
>>> to build a good box of 5.8, or maybe 6.2, and load and configure that.
>>
>> I'm not interested in acquiring more hardware but rather hope to use
>> what
>> I have. It works satisfactorily in its current configuration; my
>> interest
>> is in aligning the OS of the test/backup unit with that of the
>> production
>> machine.
>
> <snip>
>
> Fine. Another answer would be to add more disk, if necessary, and build
> 5.8 on the machine, in such a manner as to allow you to reboot into either
> the current or the new version. For further clarification as to what I'm
> suggesting, try reading my other published article:
> <http://24.5-cent.us/upgrading_linux.doc>

Thanks. I've already looked at it.

I appreciate your and others' efforts at advice. I'm simply trying to use
existing hardware (that's the eco-friendly approach), and trying to build
my understanding of the Fedora/CentOS operational relationships. Given
that it has been stated that CentOS 5.x was built from FC6, and that
someone had already offered general guidance on the upgrade procedure (I
shared the link in my initial request), I thought that it would be
worthwhile asking the CentOS-users list to see if someone from this
community had any direct experience with the upgrade. I'm not yet looking
for a recommendation for a clean install.

Thanks.

Max Pyziur
pyz at brama.com