[CentOS] Why portmap is needed for NFSv4 in CentOS6

Tilman Schmidt t.schmidt at phoenixsoftware.de
Mon Oct 29 10:14:24 UTC 2012

Am 29.10.2012 08:46, schrieb C. L. Martinez:
> Yes, all clients are configured to tuse nfsv4. Strange, if rpcbind
> process is stopped after nfs services are up, all works, but if
> rpcbind is stopped, nfs services doesn't go up ... I don't understand
> why rpcbind service needs to be up to start nfs services with you use
> nfsv4 only ...

I'd guess you configured NFS to provide both v3 and v4 services,
so the daemon needs to register with the portmapper when it starts
up. Your logfile should contain a message to that effect.

Stopping rpcbind later doesn't directly affect the daemon.
It just prevents clients from locating the NFSv3 service via the
portmap mechanism.

If I'm right, changing the NFS configuration to provide *only* v4
service should allow you to start the NFS service without the
portmapper.

--
Tilman Schmidt
Phoenix Software GmbH