[CentOS] centos6 - failsafe terminal on login screen

Thu Oct 4 19:11:13 UTC 2012
Miranda Hawarden-Ogata <hawarden at ifa.hawaii.edu>

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 2:54 AM, James Pearson
<james-p at moving-picture.com> wrote:
> Miranda Hawarden-Ogata wrote:
>>
>> If I just have "Exec=/usr/bin/xterm" in failsafe.desktop I can get the xterm
>> to appear with just a normal prompt, with no automatic script execution.
>>
>> If I put "Exec=/usr/bin/xterm -e ssh guest at server" it pops up a second
>> password entry but then kicks out after the password is entered.
>>
>> If I put anything else in the Exec field, I just get a regular gnome
>> desktop.
>>
>> I'm not sure what else to try, or how to get the script to run in the xterm
>> automatically... there's probably something really silly that I'm missing,
>> but at this point I've been staring at this so long I'm just not seeing it.
>
> You could write a simple script that does all you need and just call
> this script via the "Exec=..." line - this is actually what I do in my
> failsafe.desktop file - although I don't know if this will help in your case
>
> James Pearson

Thanks, James, that did the trick. So now I have set up two desktops,
one a vanilla xterm and the other specifically for this purpose, runs
my script in a gnome-terminal and it appears to be working properly,
no funky pop-ups or anything. Thanks again for your help!

Thanks!
Miranda