[CentOS] Issue installing Centos server on Vmware Fusion/Server

Wed Oct 31 07:20:08 UTC 2012
Madhurranjan Mohaan <mohanma at thoughtworks.com>

Hi,

Thanks for the responses. I was trying with Vmware server and Vmware fusion.

Hakan - you're right . Choosing the "other" vm along with "Linux 2.6.x
kernel " allows me to install the server bit. This is with Vmware fusion.
With Vmware Workstation, that option doesn't quite appear.  With the above
"other" and "linux 2.6 kernel" option, it provides it with 384MB of Ram and
8GB hard disk.  In this case you can't change the Ram which is weird again .

Surprisingly, every time you choose a different option,  you'll get
different settings of Ram and Hard disk .  If you choose "Centos" and 64bit
it allocates it 1gb ram and 20gb hard disk by default . You can change the
hard disk value though.

Booting with 384MB ram , the gui installer complains saying it doesn't have
enough memory to run but the command line Centos setup comes up correctly
but there is no network interface! Seems to be a crazy exercise . I guess I
need to play with a few more options here.

Mamu