[CentOS] floppy drives

John R. Dennison jrd at gerdesas.com
Sun Apr 7 23:53:54 UTC 2013

On Sun, Apr 07, 2013 at 07:35:17PM -0400, mark wrote:

> > ls -l /dev/fd?
> >
> > What do you see?
> >
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 Apr  7 15:03 /dev/fd -> /proc/self/fd/

Interesting as that doesn't match the pattern /dev/fd?

> And, while we're at it, ll of /dev/floppy shows
>
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Apr  7 15:03 /dev/floppy -> fd0

fd0 should have been shown by the ls -l /dev/fd? pattern so is that a
broken link?

"lsmod | grep floppy" - does it show the floppy module loaded?

If "ls -l /dev/fd0*" does not show a series of device nodes try:

"/sbin/MAKEDEV fd0"

and retry the operations that are failing.

If this still fails ensure that the device is enabled in the system's
bios.  Speaking of that, is the device seen at boot time?

"dmesg | grep ^Floppy" or "grep ^Floppy /var/log/dmesg" should show fd0
and a size.

							John
--
Another age must be the judge.

-- Charles Babbage, realizing the technology did not exist to construct his
   "difference engine", 1837; a full-size implementation exists at the Mountain
   View, CA Computer History Museum (CHM), where this quote is displayed.  The
   same can be said of the PLATO computer project, which was celebrated in the
   PLATO at 50 conference at the CHM, 2-3 June 2010