[CentOS] New motherboard - kernel panic

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 17:44:39 UTC 2013

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 12:35 PM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

>>> I had to replace the motherboard on one of my CentOS 4 systems and am
>>> now getting a kernel panic.

CentOS 4 - seriously???

>>> I can boot up with the boot CD, go into rescue mode and browse the
>>> files, so I know the drives are ok.
>>>
>>> I found some stuff online saying that I should recreate my initrd from
>>> rescue mode if the motherboard changed.  I tried this, but am still
>>> getting the same results.
>>
>> Anyone have any ideas here?  I can rebuild the machine if I have to, but
>> that's a last resort.
>
> Sorry, hit <send> and had another thought: I think you said you rebuilt
> the initrd... *could* you see the drives? *Did* the running system you
> rebuilt from have all the LVM drivers loaded when you rebuilt it?

You need to include whatever drivers loaded in rescue mode in the new
initrd, but I've forgotten the exact details.  In Centos5 you would
add alias entries to /etc/modprobe.conf but it might have been named
something else in C4.   Maybe you can see what is there before you
chroot to the installed instance and change the file there to match,
then make the new initrd.   Once in a similar circumstance I just
copied the whole contents of ./boot from a different machine with
identical hardware so I didn't have to know as much as anaconda about
matching hardware and drivers.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com