[CentOS] New motherboard - kernel panic

Bowie Bailey Bowie_Bailey at BUC.com
Mon Apr 15 18:54:30 UTC 2013

On 4/15/2013 1:44 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:

> CentOS 4 - seriously???

Yea, it's an old system.

>>> Anyone have any ideas here?  I can rebuild the machine if I have to, but
>>> that's a last resort.
>> Sorry, hit <send> and had another thought: I think you said you rebuilt
>> the initrd... *could* you see the drives? *Did* the running system you
>> rebuilt from have all the LVM drivers loaded when you rebuilt it?
> You need to include whatever drivers loaded in rescue mode in the new
> initrd, but I've forgotten the exact details.  In Centos5 you would
> add alias entries to /etc/modprobe.conf but it might have been named
> something else in C4.   Maybe you can see what is there before you
> chroot to the installed instance and change the file there to match,
> then make the new initrd.   Once in a similar circumstance I just
> copied the whole contents of ./boot from a different machine with
> identical hardware so I didn't have to know as much as anaconda about
> matching hardware and drivers.

There is a /etc/modprobe.conf file on the original system.  Among other
things, it says:

alias scsi_hostadapter sata_nv

I assume that refers to the driver for the nvidia chipset.

I found a modprobe.conf file in the rescue environment living in
/tmp/modprobe.conf.  This one says:

alias scsi_hostadapter ahci

I guess that's a driver that works with the new hardware?  I do not have
the ports in ahci mode in the bios.

What do I need to do to make sure the driver gets into initrd?  Or do I
just need to make the change to /etc/modprobe.conf on the hard drive?

--
Bowie