[CentOS] freenx not working with newly installed centos 6.4

Wed Apr 3 20:26:15 UTC 2013
Craig White <craig.white at ttiltd.com>

On Apr 3, 2013, at 1:16 PM, Natxo Asnjo wrote:

> hi,
>
> this is not the same as http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=6298
>
> I can login with ssh but not with freenx
>
> With 6.3 this worked, I just spinned some new servers and now I can no
> longer use freenx.
>
> in /var/log/messages:
>
> pr  3 22:05:11 testthuis nxserver[3435]: (nx) Failed login for user=admin
> from IP=192.168.0.160
> Apr  3 22:06:01 testthuis nxserver[3619]: (nx) Failed login for user=admin
> from IP=192.168.0.160
> Apr  3 22:06:52 testthuis nxserver[3818]: (nx) Failed login for user=admin
> from IP=192.168.0.160
>
> in /var/log/nx/nxserver.log:
>
> -- NX SERVER START: -c /usr/bin/nxserver - ORIG_COMMAND=
> -- NX SERVER START:  - ORIG_COMMAND=
> Info: Using fds #4 and #3 for communication with nxnode.
> HELLO NXSERVER - Version 3.2.0-74-SVN OS (GPL, using backend: not detected)
> NX> 105 hello NXCLIENT - Version 3.2.0
> NX> 134 Accepted protocol: 3.2.0
> NX> 105 SET SHELL_MODE SHELL
> NX> 105 SET AUTH_MODE PASSWORD
> NX> 105 login
> NX> 101 User: admin
> NX> 102 Password:
> Info: Closing connection to slave with pid 3761.
> NX> 404 ERROR: wrong password or login
> NX> 999 Bye
>
> My node.conf file is a copy of the node.conf.sample file, nothing changed.
> I do not want to use the nx database authentication but our ldap (ipa)
> authentication., this has always worked until now.
>
> I have temporarily set selinux in permissive mode but no difference.
>
> Can anyone else reproduce this? At work we have a mirror, so I tried at
> home with a manually installed centos and internet upgrades. No difference.
----
seems pretty obvious that the issue is here…

> NX> 404 ERROR: wrong password or login

So the first question is can you SSH into the NX server system as user 'admin' with the same password? If you can then the problem is in /etc/pam.d/ but my money is that you can't and the issue isn't nx at all.

Craig