[CentOS] RHEL Subscriptions

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Mon Aug 19 12:56:50 UTC 2013

On 08/18/2013 09:30 PM, Anthony K wrote:
> Hello List Members.
>
> I was recently approached by Dell stating that I HAVE TO renew my Red
> Hat Subscriptions.  I challenged this statement and was informed that
> this has always been the case and that all servers I have bought off of
> Dell over the years need to have current subscription!
>
> I've been searching the Red Hat website to find where this is stated but
> can't seem to locate this info.  So, is Dell having me on?

The only way Dell can FORCE you to update your license is if your
original purchase SAID you would maintain the subscriptions for a period
of time.

You should be able to check that and see.

Are the servers "bought" by you or "leased" by you?  If leased, they
might be able to dictate the OS as well.

If neither of those are the case (you are leasing or you agreed to
maintain the OS for a period of time) then you can do whatever you want
with the OS and Dell will provide hardware and not software support.