[CentOS] RHEL Subscriptions

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Fri Aug 23 18:02:31 UTC 2013

On 08/23/2013 12:25 AM, Kwan Lowe wrote:
>> It says if you let "ALL your subscriptions expire".   I read that to mean
>> after you have no active subscriptions, you can use the software.   Seems
>> absolutely crazy, but that's what it says.   It seems more clear to me in
>> the detailed contract version it says clearly 'use or execute':
> This clause is almost certainly to prevent folks from having a single
> subscription and then using that to update all the others in the
> environment. I don't have a problem with it; we do have several
> hundred RHEL systems. There are alternatives though. CentOS works for
> many companies. Even Oracle manages to rebuild the Red Hat packages
> and sell support around it.

You CAN have 20 CentOS machines, getting updates from CentOS and also
have licensed RHEL machines on your network with the RHEL machines
getting updates from Red Hat.  You can also convert RHEL machines to
CentOS or CentOS machines to RHEL machines, etc.

What you would do to convert a RHEL machine to a CentOS machine is to
replace all the RHEL RPMs with CentOS RPMs ... that is very easy to do
... with CentOS-6, you can just do:

replace the redhat-release* rpm with the centos-release rpm

remove any Red Hat repos from yum

yum upgrade

then

yum reinstall *

That would replace any Red Hat RPMs with CentOS RPMs ... except the
kernel which would need to be done manually.

But if you want SLA type support for your machines, that is what RHEL is
for ... so buy it if you need it.