[CentOS] <ask> What is tools for remastering Centos 6 ?

Thu Aug 1 14:22:02 UTC 2013
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On 08/01/2013 04:10 AM, Iftakhul Anwar wrote:
> Actually i want bundle my own application with Centos, same which have done
> Clear OS.
> So one .iso bundle with my own application and configuration.
>
> Any suggestion ?

You could use revisor to do this, if your application is in an rpm
form.  This will generate a live CD/DVD using the packages you select
(not from the running system, but from the packages from which the
running system was installed).  A user on this list that goes by the
name of 'nux' has done this with his own re-spin/re-brand of CentOS
called Stella; so it can be done.  But do note that it's not doing what
remastersys does.

There isn't, to my knowledge, a remastersys-like system for EL as yet.
Remastersys does some cool things, but it does put some constraints on
the system being remastered.  I'm familiar with one such system, A/V
Linux ( http://www.bandshed.net/AVLinux.html and derived from Debian
with some customizations) and it works pretty well, but the remastered
system does have quirks.

For those unfamiliar with remastersys, it allows you to set your system
up the way you want it to be, and then turns the installed system into a
liveCD (in a nutshell; there's more to it than that). This can include
packages built from source, binary blobs, configuration, sample files,
user settings, etc, and a liveCD is spun from the running system (at
least that's my limited understanding of it without digging too deeply
into what remastersys is doing under the hood of my running A/V Linux
multitrack audio production system, which I use instead of any EL or
Fedora derived system simply because A/V Linux works with JACK and
'real' pro audio multitrack cards in a sane way and the
PulseAudio-crippled EL setup does not and, in the final analysis, cannot
without lots of work or using different audio devices (I've already paid
four figures for my audio devices; choice of distribution is dictated by
the audio device, not the other way around)).

The generated liveCD from the system image is generic enough to boot on
radically different hardware and still work.  I use very different video
and audio devices from GMaq (A/V Linux developer) but the
remastersys-generated A/V Linux liveDVD doesn't care; it just works.

Do note that remastersys itself is, well, a bit difficult to obtain
right now.  See www.remastersys.com for some more information.