[CentOS] <ask> What is tools for remastering Centos 6 ?

Thu Aug 1 14:43:16 UTC 2013
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 08/01/2013 09:22 AM, Lamar Owen wrote:
> On 08/01/2013 04:10 AM, Iftakhul Anwar wrote:
>> Actually i want bundle my own application with Centos, same which have done
>> Clear OS.
>> So one .iso bundle with my own application and configuration.
>>
>> Any suggestion ?
> You could use revisor to do this, if your application is in an rpm
> form.  This will generate a live CD/DVD using the packages you select
> (not from the running system, but from the packages from which the
> running system was installed).  A user on this list that goes by the
> name of 'nux' has done this with his own re-spin/re-brand of CentOS
> called Stella; so it can be done.  But do note that it's not doing what
> remastersys does.
>
> There isn't, to my knowledge, a remastersys-like system for EL as yet.
> Remastersys does some cool things, but it does put some constraints on
> the system being remastered.  I'm familiar with one such system, A/V
> Linux ( http://www.bandshed.net/AVLinux.html and derived from Debian
> with some customizations) and it works pretty well, but the remastered
> system does have quirks.
>
> For those unfamiliar with remastersys, it allows you to set your system
> up the way you want it to be, and then turns the installed system into a
> liveCD (in a nutshell; there's more to it than that). This can include
> packages built from source, binary blobs, configuration, sample files,
> user settings, etc, and a liveCD is spun from the running system (at
> least that's my limited understanding of it without digging too deeply
> into what remastersys is doing under the hood of my running A/V Linux
> multitrack audio production system, which I use instead of any EL or
> Fedora derived system simply because A/V Linux works with JACK and
> 'real' pro audio multitrack cards in a sane way and the
> PulseAudio-crippled EL setup does not and, in the final analysis, cannot
> without lots of work or using different audio devices (I've already paid
> four figures for my audio devices; choice of distribution is dictated by
> the audio device, not the other way around)).
>
> The generated liveCD from the system image is generic enough to boot on
> radically different hardware and still work.  I use very different video
> and audio devices from GMaq (A/V Linux developer) but the
> remastersys-generated A/V Linux liveDVD doesn't care; it just works.
>
> Do note that remastersys itself is, well, a bit difficult to obtain
> right now.  See www.remastersys.com for some more information.

You could also just provide your software as a repository to install on
top of CentOS.

ISOs are so 20th Century now anyway.

If you want your software to be provided in a working way, create a KVM
application image (can be installed on a VM host) and an AWS type image
(most cloud stacks can use that).  Then also provide a repo (and ISO if
you insist) of your packages to install on top of CentOS.  The added
benefit of this approach.

Your users can use your repo against RHEL, Oracle Enterprise Linux,
Scientific Linux as well as CentOS ... AND ... you only need to serve
YOUR files while the other project (CentOS, RHEL, OEL, SL) hosts all the
os files and security updates.

Four OS options instead of one and someone else manages all the packages
for you except the ones you create that are different.  Looks like
win-win for you.