[CentOS] surveillance DVR

Fri Aug 2 19:38:59 UTC 2013

SilverTip257 wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 11:48 AM, <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
>> Lorenzo wrote:

>> >Maybe a couple of those wuold fit the bill:
>>
>> >http://www.ubnt.com/airvision#aircammini
>
> One of my coworkers experimented with the Ubiquiti AirCam (the regular
> white ones, not the minis).  I remember him saying the NVR software
> records still frames to disk rather than an actual encoded video.
>> Meaning that if you needed to provide video to the police, insurance,
>> whoever - you're going to have to use their software to encode a video.
>> Recording as still frames might be common, but I'd expect the software
>> to run a job every hour or whatever to encode frames to video ... but
>> what do I know..

I was under the impression that when it detected motion, it saved it as a
video. Still pictures every hour or so is normal.

And if we need to show someone, that will be the campus police, and
possibly the FBI - this *is* a US federal gov't institution.

> I'm told the NVR software installs rather painlessly on Debian (since
> there's a *.deb package), but beyond that it can be pain.
>
> The AirCams we used do not do infrared night vision which is a big bummer.

Not a problem - the lights in our, aahhh, "computer labs" are on
24x7x365.25, specifically for the cameras.

> If you want any further details, let me know and I'll ask my coworker
> since he worked with them more than I did. ;)

Please. We'd want to d/l the jpgs and the mpegs (or avi, or whatever) via
cron and rsync to a server for longer term storage and backup.

      mark

        mark