[CentOS] surveillance DVR

Sun Aug 4 19:25:49 UTC 2013
Brian Mathis <brian.mathis+centos at betteradmin.com>

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 11:59 AM, <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

> Brian Mathis wrote:

> Active-X, and/or allows logging in directly?

> >> No joy, either this, nor zoneminder. Right now, we just have motion
> running on the servers that have the USB cameras plugged in; after the
> recent grief we had with the last upgrade to CentOS, when I wound up
> moving one camera that just would not work - the top 10% of the screen
> was fine, and the rest green, and the other I had to change the
> resolution to 240x360 to get it to not do that, my manager asked me to
> look into appliances that we could manage from our servers.
> >>
> >> We've found Zmodo, and another one, but with *both* of them, though the
> DVR that comes with the set is running Linux, web control *REQURES* IE,
> and you can't log in directly using ssh or telnet.
> > If the camera is running on Windows, you can probably stream directly
> from the device using ffmpeg.  See here for details:
> >     http://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/DirectShow
> > You would set the input as  the camera and the output as a file, and add
> any codec options you want, etc...
> >
> > I'm sure there's probably a similar mode for Linux.  If nothing else,
> you can probe the camera to see what modes it supports, etc..., to make
> sure you're picking one that works,
> >

> Ok, I *must* not have made clear what I was asking for. Let me try one
> more time....
>
> We want an appliance, such as
> <
> http://www.zmodo.com/4ch-h-264-full-d1-dvr-500gb-hdd-with-4-cmos-480tvl-ir-outdoor-security-cameras-with-11-leds.html
> >,
> that we can put on our network, and manage, and d/l videos for long-term
> storage, onto a server. We have exactly, um, two? boxes running Windows,
> and we normally do *nothing* with them. We've over 100 servers running
> Linux, and that's where we live.
>
> Currently, the USB cameras are connected to ->CENTOS SERVERS<-, no WinCrap
> at all. We use the standard package motion to record for surveillance.
> We're looking for an "appliance", like the link I give above, that we can
> manage the same way that we manage an HP printer, which does *NOT* require
> IE, and we can do with firefox, or probably even konqueror. At the very
> least, we want to use, say, wget, to d/l the videos.
>
> NOTHING RUNNING WINDOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Now, if I can calm myself down, have I made it clear what it is we're
> looking for? If so, can anyone recommend a source for such an appliance?
>
>         mark

Hi Mark,

If you lay off the coffee for a minute and actually take a look at what
people are suggesting, you'll see that ffmpeg is a standard, cross
platform, very versatile (basically industry standard) tool for
manipulating audio/video files, and it also has good support for capturing
from devices.  Frankly I had assumed that you had probably already heard of
it.  It's the swiss army knife of video, and it works perfectly well on
Linux as well as Windows.  I only mentioned Windows because that's where I
had recently used it for device capture.

❧ Brian Mathis

P.S.  Should I also point out how far off topic this is, since you seem to
want some sort of appliance?